Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:54:07 -0500

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 07:41:01AM -0400, Adrian Robert wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2005, at 10:56 PM, Andrew Ruder wrote:
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> >I am proposing that GNUstep migrate to using subversion (instead of
> >CVS).
>
> I'm also in favor of this (keeping it on gnu.org if possible).. have
> used subversion for a couple of years now and while it has quirks as
> mentioned, the benefits are worth it.  I've not used the WEBDAV server
> though, and frankly haven't seen the benefits of it (vs. the setup
> complexity).  Direct access and over-ssh have worked for us.

The authz stuff in the WEBDAV server gives much more fine-grained ACLs.
I can give people rights to certain directories within a repository.
For whatever reason, the WEBDAV server also seems to be much better
supported in subversion plugins to popular IDEs (VS.NET, Eclipse).

> We should definitely have a page somewhere on the wiki that goes over
> the repository layout we settle on as well as a rundown of commonly
> used commands (like the patch diff incantations posted) that might not
> be easy for newcomers to remember/find.

Definitely.  It would be more than useful to have a page setup with a
couple of the "recipes" for subversion.

- Andy

--
Andrew Ruder