Re: Totally Gormless

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Totally Gormless
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:29:01 -0600

On 2005-10-12 07:44:52 -0600 Nicola Pero <nicola.pero@operatelecom.com> wrote:

I'd say that --

Variable names those should be GNUSTEP_SYS_APPS, not just SYS_APPS ... so that we properly use a GNUSTEP_* namespace for all our GNUstep variables! (key requirement if we want to be able to just include GNUstep.conf in
shell scripts and makefiles)

If we're thinking of just sourcing the file in make, that's probably a good idea. However, that was never the original intention. The SYS/PLATFORM/PLATFORM_LOCAL paths are strictly for non-GNUstep tools, so that a gnustep-base user could discover the location of a system tool using GNUstep methods. They are not for use by gnustep-make at all.

Btw, how did we choose the names 'SYS' / 'PLATFORM' / 'PLATFORM_LOCAL'
btw? It looks like the 'SYS' is missing the resource directory, which is
essential to us (isn't it ?  bundles / apps / frameworks will go in

No. These paths are strictly for non-GNUstep tools, we'll never install anything in these places.

Also, I'd rename USER_GNUSTEP_DIR into GNUSTEP_USER_DIR for consistency
... everything should start with GNUSTEP_*

Sure.

Btw, why USER_GNUSTEP_DEFAULTS and GNUSTEP_DEFAULTS_ROOT work in totally
different way ?  Can we unify and have a single logic behind those
variables ?

It looks like gnustep-make has no integration with this at all :-(

Well yes, but the original intention of the GNUstep.conf file was to be able to fully specify the locations of important files so you wouldn't have to rely on gnustep-make. i.e. gnustep-base could be distributed and used without gnustep-make.