Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:26:20 -0700

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
My 'vote', for what it's worth, is to stick with CVS for a while.

I don't want to get dragged in to the discussion on this, but ...

1. I don't think that the flaws in CVS are causing people a great deal of difficulty in practice or holding back GNUstep development.

Of course you don't..you're a core developer, with carte blanche CVS access. Please, for the sake of others who may be interested in contributing, but just not willing to put up with whining about too-large patches, etc, take a step back, put yourself in someone else's shoes, and try to look at where the people who are proposing are coming from, instead of just saying "oh, everything looks fine to me"

2. I don't see a clear winner for which system we should migrate to... opinoins are very varied and I don't have the experience myself.

Opinions are just that. Andrew started the discussion because he had a legitimate concern about this as an issue.

So, while I have no objection to someone putting in all the practical work to do a move (as long as they make it easy for developers like me to make the change), it seems to me that there is not a lot of urgency, and it looks like the field of version control systems is in a state of flux, so a wait and see approach seems sensible.

Once again, of course it doesn't seem urgent to you. Nobody's claiming it's an URGENT matter. For that matter, why must you wait for it to be? Consider it preventative maintenance. Consider it an investment in GNUstep's future. I'm frankly rather frustrated that the core devs are taking such a shortsighted view of the issue, because they have CVS access already. Indifference breeds defeat.

By a 'while' I mean something like waiting six months and then revisting the topic.

What purpose will that serve, other than to defer the inevitable transition from CVS? I think we're all in agreement, *in principle* that there are better things out there and they could benefit us from using it. The problem is that some folks are obsessing about the specifics, instead of agreeing on the points that they agree on, and disagreeing on the points with which they disagree.

The world isn't black and white, even if our logo is.

Alex