Re: attracting software developers

From: hns
Subject: Re: attracting software developers
Date: 7 Nov 2005 06:00:23 -0800

Paraplegic Racehorse schrieb:

> The abandonment of old, great software products after Apple allowed the
> API to languish for, what, five years? can have done nothing good for

Why do you think so? Look at
http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/cocoa-dev and see how active it
is.

> GNUstep. How can we get the few remaining developers to support GNUstep?

I would not say there are a few remaining developers to support the
Apple API... IMHO their number is even growing. But there are only a
few on GNUstep.

IMHO, GNUstep needs a clear perspective, e.g. platform indepencence
while 99,95% compatible to the latest Cocoa additions...

Currently, I would say its support is for Linux mostly, some Windows -
and one Handheld Linux PDA (Zaurus).

And perhaps a complete distribution (incl. some underlaying OS) with an
interesting application suite. Zero effort installation. Boots directly
from CD. Similar to Knoppix or Zeta.