Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep
Date: 11 Nov 2005 01:06:00 GMT

John Davidorff Pell <jpell.lists@mac.com> wrote:
> Part of the problem with GNUstep, and almost every Free/Open
> application, is that there is almost never a major release in the
> same sense as a major release of a closed-source commercial program
> that works. [...]

I think you're being far too kind to closed-source commercial programs.
Most of them are just as bad at releasing. They just release to fewer
people, for the most part.

On the positive points, I agree that releasing large version numbers,
(x or x.y form) would help attract users, especially if most user
application developers commit to supporting those releases as long
as reasonable.

I don't think you can compel more developers or rule out bugs, though.

--
MJR/slef