Beta-test version of NSMessagePort on windows (mingw32) ready

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Beta-test version of NSMessagePort on windows (mingw32) ready
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:19:08 +0000

I've implemented NSMessagePort/NSMessagePortNameServer for mingw32 in the base library using windows mailslots as the transport mechanism and using the windows registry for the nameserver mechanism.

The idea is to provide support for distributed objects connections between windows apps running for a single user on a single machine in the same way that NSMessagePort on unix systems provides secure host-local communications.

When using NSMessagePort/NSMessagePortNameServer communications between applications should be safe from interception/tampering by other users/machines, and the gdomap daemon process does not need to run (and is not automatically started).

Anyway, there are doubtless bugs in this, so it needs testing. Anyone who would like to try it out should get and build/install the latest base library code from CVS on their windows system, then set the GSMailslot user default to enable this (a temporary feature ... once this is debugged we can get rid of the default and just have the new implementation enabled all the time).

'defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSMailslot YES'

I'm very interested in any reproducible problems ... I'd like to have this implementation debugged to the point where it can be made standard by the end of the month.