Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 36, Issue 37

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 36, Issue 37
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:40:52 +0000

On 11/26/05, Michael Thaler <michael.thaler@physik.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:
> On Saturday 26 November 2005 16:54, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>
> > Since I think we have easily the best look and feel on large/modern
> > displays, obviously changing the look/feel would be a BAD idea on
> > those systems.  However, the rest I agree with ... we need themes for
>
> Personally, I don't like the original nextstep/openstep look (I have a HP
> gecko with nextstep on it). I think it is dull and boring. And this has
> nothing todo with having a small display (mine is 17'' with 1280x1024 which
> is fine).  think Plastik is a very nice theme, it is simplistic, but not
> totally boring. Have a look at:
>
> http://users.physik.tu-muenchen.de/mthaler/gnustep_plastik1.jpg
> http://users.physik.tu-muenchen.de/mthaler/gnustep_plastik2.jpg
>
> It is far from perfect, but I think Plastik looks also nice with gnustep and
> the gnustep applications now fit in quite well into my KDE desktop.
> However, the theme is not complete yet.

Pretty cool, indeed ! is it a Camaelon theme ? care to make it available ? :-)
I should probably update properly the camaelon webpage and put the
available themes to download...

> I also do not like the gnustep icons too much. Have a look at
>
> http://www.oxygen-icons.org/?cat=3
>
> This will be the default icon theme for KDE4. I think they look quite nice. Is
> it somehow possible to change the gnustep icons or create icon themes?

I dislike them ;-) (too clunky) but the possiblity of changing gnustep
icons exists.
There's a file you can change to select which icon to load. Though, it
should probably be simpler, as simple as putting an "Icon theme"
bundle in your ~/GNUstep/ directory..

> > Another thing I'd like to see is thought on how to integrate better
> > into non-gnustep environments, as this seems a fairly obvious first
> > stage to getting people to look at GNUstep.   For instance, app icons
>
> That is my point. Right now gnustep is basically only interesting for
> ex-nextstep users and some other geeks. And that is a shame.

indeed.

--
Nicolas Roard
  -Arthur C. Clarke