Re: GNUstep.conf

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: GNUstep.conf
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:58:23 +0100

Hi @list,

I was kinda bored yesterday so I reinstalled GNUstep from scratch with
a more OSX'ish filesystem structure ( i.e. /Applications, /Library,
/Tools ).

Everything went smoothly, except for one step.

When installing gnustep-make, everything is put into /Library, except
the Makefiles directory, which gets installed into
/System/Library/Makefiles/, regardless of GNUstep.conf or any
configure options. Obvioulsy, the successive installation of -base
etc. will fail, since the make scripts are assumed to be in
/Library/Makefiles.

The reason is in .../core/make/GNUmakefile[.in], more specifically the line

  makedir = @GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES@

which is always expanded to

  makedir = /System/Library/Makefiles

IMHO, this should probably read

  makedir = $(GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT)/Library/Makefiles

instead.

Note: I install GNUstep as 'root' and do NOT set any GNUstep related
variables upon login, so the configure script will not use any of
these from an older installation/configuration, when configure is run.

Other than that, I haven't found any problems yet.

Cheers,

--
Chris