Re: strange NSException code

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: strange NSException code
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 12:26:24 +0000

On 2 Dec 2005, at 09:30, David Ayers wrote:

Andrew Ruder schrieb:

And on this note, is there any reason that we couldn't make debug
symbols in the executables by default? I think this would be very good for GNUstep and would probably be a critical part of making this crash
reporter tool.

I would like this also, and I'll dare say that I believe Alex M. also
tweaks his config files to have this effect.

I'd like to -

1. abolish the distinction between debug and non-debug libraries (the _d suffix to the library name)
2. build with the -g flag at all times (debug symbols always on)
3. build with 'debug=yes' by default ... to define the DEBUG preprocessor constant and have debug logging facilities compiled in ... so you have to explcitly build with 'debug=no' for a production release.

Point 1 gets rid of the problems we have where we can get debug and non-debug versions of the library linked into the same executable.

Point 2 means we *always* have some change to debug our code even in production environments

Point 3 means we don't have to keep adding 'debug=yes' during development (after all, we develop a lot, but release production code only occasionally) ... but it also means we have all the debug facilities on a production system unless we *really* want to turn them off for some good reason.