Re: Windows Installer

From: Tom Koelman
Subject: Re: Windows Installer
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:54:54 +0100

Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've just tried the current Windows installer, works fluently.
> However, it doesn't install any applications, you are basically left
> off with the msys shell.
>
> Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to bundle a set of dev and demo
> applications, like Gorm, the Calculator or GNUmail and put them in
> the Windows menu? Right now its not very good for demoing the state
> of GNUstep on Windows (eg to Cocoa developers).

Currently the Windows Installer is actually geared towards
developers. What I think would make more sense is this:

- Think up a sane and standardized way of deploying GNUstep on
  windows, so msys isn't needed anymore. I think currently gdomap and
  the other services are the main blockers here (I think they should
  be made into Windows services), but I could be mistaken.

- Make an installer that is geared towards users, which only contains
  the binaries and somehow registers on the machine where it is, maybe
  including some version numbers so application installers can check
  whether the right GNUstep is already on the machine.

- Make installers for Gorm, Calculator and whatnot that require the
  user installer to have run.

Tom