Re: AddressBook with LuceneKit support

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: AddressBook with LuceneKit support
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 00:05:52 -0800

On 12/21/05, Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org> wrote:
> On 20. Dez 2005, at 23:25 Uhr, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:
> >   Therefore, it is possible to search something by  "Name:Joe AND
> > City:Taipei".
> >   LuceneKit is a direct port of Apache Lucene
> > (http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/index.html).
> >   You can find out more information there.
>
> The only thing I'm surprised about is that you use Lucene for data
> which is structured in the first place. Your example is a prime for
> using a relational database, like SQlite or libmysql if you want to
> avoid a server. (eg using CoreData ;-)
>
> In my "view" Lucene is focused on indexing large per-entity
> collections of words (eg text blobs like PDF or Word documents), and
> not on data which is already structured. This is why I asked, I'm
> kinda suprised that someone wants to use Lucene for struct data.

  I agree with you that if the data has a structure,
  you may have some other choices besides lucene.
  So the developers have to evaluate the pro and con of each engine.
  From my point of view, LuceneKit is an assistant for searching.
  So if the data has already been structured for fast search like in
most database,
  LuceneKit might not help a lot.
  But frankly, not many desktop applications use databases to store their data.
  A lot of server applications do, though.

  I choose AddressBook as an example because it is the most easy one on hand.
  Other existing GNUstep applications are too complicated for me to
add search function.
  So it is really an example of LuceneKt instead of an AddressBook wth
search function.
  And since LuceneKit also offers a good engine for searching,
  it may suit for people who don't want to work on searching function
for their applications,
  even the data is structured.

  Yen-Ju