Re: NSStream and friends

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSStream and friends
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:04:07 +0000

On 27 Jan 2006, at 23:54, Derek Zhou wrote:

Hi all,
Right now gnustep is missing the NS*Stream classes. Has anyone
been thinking about implementing them?

Not as far as I know ... I think that task is free.

They look useful; provide nicer
and saner interface to sockets than NSFileHandle.
If they are not taken, I will try to write them and post here within
a week or so. It doesn't look like too hard to do.

Since all the required functionality already exists in NSFileHandle, I think it should indeed be fairly straightforward (biggest issue is probably checking that the ms-windows code works as well as the unix code). Of course, straightforward does not meant that it won't be time consuming to write and test.

Anyway, contribution would be very welcome (have you done the copyright assignment form for future contributions to gnustep?)

If you are in the mood for it ... it would be really nice to have testcases along with the new code. The new test framework (dev-apps/ test/Testsuite) is very easy for objc programmers to use.