Re: arch repositories missing

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: Re: arch repositories missing
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:27:20 +1100

> Gnustep web page for downloads
> (http://www.gnustep.org/resources/sources.html) has an Arch Linux section
> referring to a Pacman repository
> (ftp://blkwidow.lerp.com/pub/mirror/arch/gnustep).
>
> This errors out and the server does not seem to exist, or their is some kind
> of permissions issue (I believe the former).
>
> I am working my way through the download page trying different Linux distros
> in a vain attempt to get Gnustep development environment to install, just
> sufficient to try out the simple sample programs in the basic tutorial. Arch
> Linux was another combo to try.
>
> I notice when Googling that documents relating to Gnustep and Arch seem to
> be horribly out of date, so perhaps this stuff is no longer maintained. If
> so, it might be cool to change the web page to reflect this.
>
> As yet no luck whatsoever getting Gnustep up and running.
>
> Can someone suggest a Distro/Package combination that can work in a
> straightforward way without patching and fixing. Ive tried Debian, Ubuntu,
> Arch, FreeBSD. Not interested in trying Suse (specially not 9.3), OpenBSD or
> Gentoo. Dont have access to a Mac or to Solaris. Theres not much left on the
> official web page.
>
> It is not difficult to get a Gnome/Glade setup running under almost any
> version / revision of Linux - I am nonplussed as to why Gnustep should be
> any different, but whatever I do nothing ever works properly. I have never
> succeeded in getting Gorm to even load, much less run properly.

First of all, GNUstep should be stable and simple to install under most
Linux distributions, and even BSD derivatives. Would you be able to post
to the list what kind of problems you are having, software versions
(including ALL the GNUstep packages you are using and their versions)
and the output of any configuration/install processes that are failing
(build errors, configure errors, etc). Download the latest stable source
packages from the "View Packages List" button
(http://wwwmain.gnustep.org/resources/downloads.php?site=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp.gnustep.org%2Fpub%2Fgnustep%2F).
Debian should have reasonably up to date packages in its repositry
(unstable only), so should Ubuntu (in universe).

Either go for GNUstep-Startup or all the make, base, gui and back
packages separately. Then install Gorm and perhaps ProjectCenter. It is
possible the arch repositry is out of date.

Cheers
Chris

--
  Christopher Armstrong