Re: NSStream update

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSStream update
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:45:39 +0000

On 16 Feb 2006, at 01:04, Derek Zhou wrote:

I just merged my NSStream work with the svn head. A (big) patch is
attached.

Sorry to gripe but ... I think this needs modification.

Problem is, you have added an integer file descriptor ivar and a setter for it to the generic part of the code. When I factored out the generic/platform dependent parts I was careful not to do that because on mingw32 you need to use a handle rather than a file descriptor (for polling in the run loop), and because it's not needed for the memory streams subclasses.

Now we have two options ...
1. put the file descriptor back in the private subclasses that need it rather than the generic superclass. 2. make the ivar/setter generic somehow ... eg by using a void* rather than an int. Actually a windows handle is an unsigned long thought I'm not sure it's guaranteed to stay that way ... using void* in the generic part should be safe though.

What do you think?