Re: Alt + mouseclicks or -movements doesn't work properly

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Alt + mouseclicks or -movements doesn't work properly
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:05:24 +0000

On 12 Mar 2006, at 15:55, Nikolaus Waxweiler wrote:

Hi,
I figured it out: I mapped the first command, control and alternate keys to left-alt, left-ctrl and left-meta/winkey, respectively, using Preferences.app. However, left-meta/winkey wasn't acknowledged as a modifier for whatever reason, so it didn't work. In fact, nothing besides left-alt, left-ctrl and right-ctrl works (German keyboard: right-alt == "Alt Gr" == ISO_Level3_Shift == Mode switch I think). A bug in the GUI library or a misconfiguration on my part?

Is your window manager grabbing the key for its own use?
If you use WindowMaker you generally need to run its preference application, and (in the mouse section) change the 'Mouse grab modifier' to be something other than 'Mod1 (Alt)'. I have mine set to 'mod5 (Mode switch)'