Re: [Etoile-dev] Re: Io language for StepTalk on Cocoa

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: [Etoile-dev] Re: Io language for StepTalk on Cocoa
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 11:54:10 -0700

On 5/25/06, Nicolas Roard <nicolas.roard@gmail.com> wrote:
On 5/25/06, Yen-Ju Chen <yjchenx@gmail.com> wrote:
> O.K. This one works on GNUstep, but is not tested with StepTalking on GNUstep.
> It also creates a tool 'io_objc' to use directly without StepTalk.
> After compilation, use 'obj/io_objc test_gnustep.io' on GNUstep
> or 'obj/io_objc test_cocoa.io' on mac.
> There are still some glitches here and there, though.
> And GNUmakefile needs modification for you system.
>
> That is pretty much all I will do for now.
> Feel free to make it better.
> Have fun.

Really cool ! io_objc works fine on gnustep. Impressive !
in StepTalk it seems to be broken though (seems a problem not saving
the context)

 Io language is interesting in a way that you can redefine all syntax.
 In my mind, it might not be hard to create a 'Objective-C Script'
language on it.
 And it has a different object (prototype) and thread (actor) model
than Objective-C,
 which could be a good companion to GNUstep.
 But the langauge itself is still young and may have some big changes later
 on the language design and internal implementation.
 So I prefer to wait a couple months and see how it is going.

 Yen-Ju

--
Nicolas Roard
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly