Re: Re: Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Re: Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:59:02 -0700

On 8/27/06, Yen-Ju Chen <yjchenx@gmail.com> wrote:
Many usable applications are scattering around
and most of them are one-man-projects.
Below is the list I have in mind.
To me, these applications are sufficient to be a nice desktop environment
after some polish.
I think it will be better to have everything in one place
and all developers can peek into each project from time to time.

 While I think it is a good idea to have applications of
 a desktop environment in one place,
 it may not be with GNUstep "core".
 Here is an argument for similar situation:
 http://www.rubyinside.com/does-ruby-need-more-opinions-207.html

 GNUstep is more powerful than a foundation for a desktop environment.
 Because of the tight relation between GTK/GNOME, Qt/KDE,
 no one will try to use GTK and Qt to write server applications.
 ( Well, the argument here is not completely right here since
 GTK and Qt start as widget toolkit for xwindow. )
 If we have a desktop environment with GNUstep "core" in one place,
 people might think GNUstep is just like GTK/Qt.

 Having GNUstep "core" and desktop environment in two places
 is not too bad for users.
 At least GNUstep won't be shadowed if the desktop environment successes.

 Yen-Ju