Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop

From: Rogelio M. Serrano Jr.
Subject: Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:29:27 +0800

Markus Hitter wrote:

> Am 27.08.2006 um 21:23 schrieb Gregory John Casamento:
>
>> Up until now we've had 4 or 5 projects playing at being the official
>> desktop in an effort to fill the void.
>
> Yepp. And looking at NeXTbuntu and MidnightBSD, even full OS releases
> appear to be in fashion right now.
>
> What I do not understand is, what's wrong with all the various package
> managers each distro has? Instead of putting up an entire Linux or BSD
> fork, creating or refining packages in each native package mananger for
> GNUstep would be the most straightforward thing to do, IMHO.
>
> One package for -make, -base, each app, and so on. Plus a meta-package
> for getting a full runtime-environment, a full development environment
> and a full desktop environment. The latter should allow to get rid of
> any other graphical environment (KDE, Gnome, maybe even X), without
> hosing GNUstep's workings. *snap* there you have your GNUstep distro (of
> course it's not developed by a snap but for the user it could/should be).

Well thats good enough to get a run gworkspace. But how do you configure
the network? and add users? or even list running processes in a window?
or get more packages? you end up with terminal.app and calling apitude.
thats what happened to me. its not an integrated feel. you still need to
abstract the platform away. and thats a very complex job.

how does openstep for NT do it?

you will need:

gnustep for suse
gnustep for red hat
gnustep for ubuntu
gnustep for debian
etc
etc

for me its not good enough specially when im concerned about bootup time
and ease of installation.

- --
things i hate about my linux pc:

1. it takes more than a second to boot up
2. keeps asking about filenames and directories
3. does not remember what i was working on yesterday
4. does not remember all changes i have ever made
5. cannot figure out necessary settings by itself