Re: [Fwd: Re: really attracting developers]

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: really attracting developers]
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 10:51:46 -0500

In article <mailman.5654.1156544094.9609.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org> wrote:

> day as MacOS advances, just think ObjC 2.0) for Linux is _not_ a
> selling point. The majority of Cocoa developers simply don't want to
> deploy their desktop applications to Linux/BSD.

I agree with your premise, but not the conclusion.  Yes, the Linux
market is tiny, but as a developer I would gladly deploy there if the
effort were also as tiny to port my Mac software.  It currently is not,
and that is what makes GNUstep not as attractive as it could be.

> IMHO there are two spaces which can be explored if you want to
> advance the GNUstep community:
> a) reasonably easy and convenient Windows porting for Cocoa developers
> b) server stuff

I completely agree here.  I will note, however, that in getting to
Windows it *should* be an easier first step to run Cocoa/Mac apps on
another Unix system.  So while Linux might not be that attractive a
market financially, technically it makes a good target.

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, 4ax.com, buzzardnews.com, googlegroups.com,
    heapnode.com, localhost, x-privat.org