[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: These NeXTbuntu guys
Re: These NeXTbuntu guys
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:37:04 +0200
• If an app hangs Window Maker is dead. No chance to start
kill the application. This is not acceptable.
Agreed, however, if any window manager hangs you're in deep shit
I assume the corresponding system on a Mac is multi threaded. If I try
to start an app from the dock there and it hangs I have no problem to
open the application list and kill it. I can't do that with Window
• As far as we know there is no nice GNUstep application yet to kill
process (Terminal.app + kill ... is no option for enterprise users)
If you're running Etoile's MenuServer, check the Etoile Menu (the
There's an entry 'Applications' that will let you select and kill any
We run EtoileMenuServer.app. I just checked the flower -> Applications
-> Application List, but selecting this menu item gives me nothing. I
not even get an error message on the console!? As you might know we are
on Solaris. :-)
• Although it is said that Copy & Paste (at least for text) works
X-apps and GNUstep apps. I cannot confirm that. My collegue is able
from Firefox to TextEdit.app, I am not (on the same machine). We have
found out why. So I can't confirm that this works generally.
Do you (your account) run gdnc and gpbs upon login?
I have no idea where or by whom gdnc and gpbs are started. But after we
login with Window maker we have both daemons running. I did "ps -Af |
grep gpbs" and got
ahoesch 22470 1 0 15:25:35 ? 0:00
After killing this daemon copy & paste between Firefox and TextEdit
started to work. I did the ps again and got
ahoesch 22472 1 0 15:25:35 ? 0:00
/opt/GNUstep/System/Tools/gpbs -GSStartupNotification GSStartup-GPBS
gpbs was restarted with an additional option and obviousl ythis option
is important for Copy & Paste to work. Weird! But I am glad it works
now. One step further to a working GNUstep based desktop. Thanks!
How much work would it be to write a GNUstep wrapper for Firefox
A wrapper around Gecko? You do not want to even think about it.
But there's Flock and Camino.
Though both are a no-go if you want to have your system clean of GTK.
I rather break my teeth by porting WebKit...
so I think one could live with this one alien (next to Star Office)
while if at least copy & paste between Firefox, Star Office and
really worked (please let me know what I could try to get this
working on my
Drag'n'Drop of text does work (just tried with Firefox and TextEdit)
This does not work for me, but I can live with that now that copy &
paste works. I don't like the concept of dragging text anyway.
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, (continued)
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, Andrew Sveikauskas, 2006/08/27
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, Andreas Wagner, 2006/08/27
- These NeXTbuntu guys, Fred Smith, 2006/08/28
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, Gregory John Casamento, 2006/08/28
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, Joachim Schulz, 2006/08/28
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, Helge Hess, 2006/08/28
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, Andreas Höschler, 2006/08/29
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, Charles Philip Chan, 2006/08/29
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, Chris Vetter, 2006/08/29
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys,
Andreas Höschler <=
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, Sašo Kiselkov, 2006/08/29
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, Chris Vetter, 2006/08/30
- GPBS interface [Re: These NeXTbuntu guys], Dennis Leeuw, 2006/08/30
- Message not available
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, Tenzin, 2006/08/30
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, Fred Kiefer, 2006/08/29
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, Andreas Höschler, 2006/08/30
- Re: These NeXTbuntu guys, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf, 2006/08/29
- Thoughts triggered by these NeXTbuntu guys, Tima Vaisburd, 2006/08/30
- Re: Thoughts triggered by these NeXTbuntu guys, Rogelio Serrano, 2006/08/30
- Re: Thoughts triggered by these NeXTbuntu guys, Gregory John Casamento, 2006/08/30