Re: Copyright assignment (Was: Thoughts triggered by these NeXTbuntu guy

From: Andrew Pinski
Subject: Re: Copyright assignment (Was: Thoughts triggered by these NeXTbuntu guys)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:27:07 -0700

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 21:12 -0700, Tima Vaisburd wrote:

> This topic deserves another message with a different subject line,
> here I can only say that it presents a natural obstacle for people
> who,
> like me, wants their work to be recognized by others.
> Thus the Nextbuntu's idea on removing this requirement seems to me
> quite appealing.

But you have to remember who contributed to the code and make sure you
are not sued by any of them or any other person.  The FSF copyright has
its benefits which is not dealing with suits bought about by other
people because the FSF will deal with it and also the FSF will deal with
the copyright violations (LGPL violations) also.  Now it is slight
hassle to get your company to agree to the terms but usually they are
willing because they see it will also improve their relationship with
the FSF and the community anyways.

-- Pinski