Re: Thoughts triggered by these NeXTbuntu guys

From: Tima Vaisburd
Subject: Re: Thoughts triggered by these NeXTbuntu guys
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:20:15 -0700

On Thursday 31 August 2006 04:52, Nicolas Roard wrote:

> > But I tried to demonstrate that simple tasks from Apple online tutorial
> > [...] cannot be done with the current state of GNUstep at all.

> hmmm which tutorial is it ?

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaDrawingGuide/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40003290

"Capturing the Contents of a View or Image"

I wasn't able to do

    NSImage* image = [self getTransformedImage];
    NSSize size = [image size];

    [image lockFocus];

    NSBitmapImageRep* rep =
            [[NSBitmapImageRep alloc] initWithFocusedViewRect:
                  NSMakeRect(0,0,size.width,size.height)];

    [image unlockFocus];

for art backend. My [-getTransformedImage] makes another series
of transformations from some original image, and, although I can display
rotated and scaled result, I could not get it into the savable bitmap.
I haven't tested it with the latest gnustep-gui release though.

> and if it doesn't it shouldn't be much to fix...

Would be very nice.

> > No application satisfactory works remotely - at all. How can I choose,
> > say, GNUMail.app to be my default mailer?
>
> why not?

Because I need someting that can work on remote connection through ssh.
As I told, gnustep with xlib backend seems to be much slower than ordinary
X program.

> > And I believe there are other areas. (E. g. I could not make cursor
> > tracking to work - again according to apple online tutorial).
>
> Could you provide a small test program ?

This will take about a week, but I will be glad to do.
I might have done something wrond when I tried it first time, of course.

> Actually I implemented jpeg saving support, I will try to take the time
> to clean it and commit it this weekend.

That's great. It's a big job though. EXIF information...
I need another (additional, non-Apple) parameter(s) in
the list of possible bitmap image properties: the MCU
block size. Something like

#define GSImageMCUSizeX @"GSImageMCUSizeX"
#define GSImageMCUSizeY @"GSImageMCUSizeY"

This is needed for determination of block boundaries for
lossless JPEG transformations.

> >      - (does animation work?)
>
> what do you mean?

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/AnimationGuide/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40003592