Re: running make

From: mcgurme
Subject: Re: running make
Date: 5 Sep 2006 07:13:10 -0700

Riccardo,

You are just wrong to call someone "not clever".

Did you consider:
- If someone installs a "standard" unix, such as Ubuntu, that most of
the libraries for Gnustep are missing?
- Getting all these standard libraries installed is a pain in the rear?
 It takes time and experience

That's the whole point.  There's NOT just one trivial step like "make
sure to source GNUStep.sh".  It's more like "make sure that you do X
then Y then Z then XX then YY then ZZ then if you did everything
exactly right it might work, otherwise, start over".

And don't start in that I don't know what I'm doing.  I presently have
five different Gnustep installations on all variety of Linuxen.  But
it's still not trivial to make new ones.  It is different for every
environment, and quite finicky as to the versions of each library
installed.  If it is so easy, then please provide me with your clever
list of steps to get the full Gnustep running on OS X.  Trivial, right?

And that's the point.  The reason Gnustep doesn't have more users is
simple:
1. It has too much overhead to install and get running, but more
importantly,
2. People such as yourself scare new users off with a bad attitude that
someone is not clever if he or she can't win the world speed record for
Gnustep installation.

I personally think Gnustep is great, and have made contributions where
I can.  I will continue to support the effort.  But attitudes like you
are displaying here are doing absolutely zero to promote the cause.

Morgan