Re: Update Display Problem

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Update Display Problem
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:55:35 +0100

On 15 Sep 2006, at 13:50, Andreas Höschler wrote:

Hi all,

we have discovered a very ugly Sun Ray Software related problem which causes the display not to be updated correctly, e.g. when popping up a combobox and scrolling through the items, or when scrolling through a text view or when clicking on items in a container view (actually NSView sublcasses on some other NSView subclass). "Display is not updated correctly" means that some stuff simply is not drawn.

This problem can't be Solaris related since it does not occur when we access the machine via Secure Global Desktop or directly on the console. It occurs only when using Sun Rays.

We haven't been able to reproduce this with GNOME apps, it occurs only with GNUstep apps. But I can't blame GNUstep alone, since it works flawless on all flavors of Unix and even on Solaris when working on the console or via a SGD connection. The problem only occurs in combination with Sun Rays.

Any hints are greatly appreciated!

Richard Frith-Macdonald  recommended the following:

Is the problem with both the art and xlib backends?
Is it with both GSX11HandlesWindowDecorations user default set to 1 and 0 ?
Is it with both XWindowBufferUseXShm user default set to 1 and 0?

Checking those variations could localise the problem.

and

        defaults write NSGlobalDomain XWindowBufferUseXShm 0

indeed solved this problem. Live is great!!!

Well that might means the problem is due to a bug I presumably either introduced or exposed when fixing various problems with coordinate conversion recently (see bug #17717). Though possibly it's a sharted memory probem entirely separate to that.

The problem with fixing #17717 is that I'm utterly unable to reproduce the problem on my system ... so if someone out there can reliably reproduce it, I would be very grateful if they could at least pin down the exact svn revision it started occurring at ... that would narrow down the search a bit.