Re: Cocotron

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Cocotron
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 18:00:33 -0800 (PST)

Helge,

> I can't follow that, it sounds like everyone is re-inventing GNUstep
> all the time. Which isn't the case. There is just one new project
> which popped up, and apparently also has a focus which GNUstep just
> doesn't have (Windows deployment).

GNUstep is all about deploying on as many operating systems as
possible, so I'm not certain what you're referring to.   GNUstep's
focus, as I have recently laid out, is that of a cross-platform API
which is usable on everything from Linux to Windows.    The fact that
Windows isn't the only operating system that GNUstep is available on shouldn't
be an issue.

> In fact a two or so years ago I suggested to work together which was
> rejected by GNUstep. Replace libFoundation with gnustep-base, gnustep-
> web with SOPE-appserver, SOPE-imap with GNUmail, etc. Eliminate DUPs.
> Fact is that GNUstep also won't let go for better alternatives due to
> individual, personal reasons ... IMHO GNUstep at least appears to be
> much more religious/uncooperative here than any other people in the
> same sector. Possibly because more people with vastly diverging
> expectations are involved.

Helge, could you please point out the email you sent in the list archives
proposing this?  Now that I'm Chief Maintainer I'd like to take a look at what
was proposed so that it can be considered.  I'm concentrating my efforts on
focusing the project on the goal I stated above.   GNUstep is an crossplatform
development environment and API only.   It is not a desktop, nor is it going to
be an OS clone.

I'm wondering if you can summarize the "vastly diverging expectations" you're
talking about as well.   One of the problems I have seen on this project is
that people are far too eager to start bashing GNUstep instead of actually
trying to help or to do anything about the problems which are challenging this
community.  I'm here to change all of that.

> This was fun :-) Given that *GNU*step itself only exists because of
> this :-)
>
> Anyways, Oliver Langer wanted to run a session on precisely this
> topic on FOSDEM :-) So I suppose we should defer discussion till then.

I would prefer to discuss it here and now so that I can help to address any
issues as soon as possible.

Later, G.
--
Gregory Casamento
## GNUstep Chief Maintainer

On Dec 23, 2006, at 20:32, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> I very strongly agree with that ... it always saddens me to see
> people re-inventing what GNUstep already does and duplicating
> effort rather than joining in.

I can't follow that, it sounds like everyone is re-inventing GNUstep
all the time. Which isn't the case. There is just one new project
which popped up, and apparently also has a focus which GNUstep just
doesn't have (Windows deployment).

In fact a two or so years ago I suggested to work together which was
rejected by GNUstep. Replace libFoundation with gnustep-base, gnustep-
web with SOPE-appserver, SOPE-imap with GNUmail, etc. Eliminate DUPs.
Fact is that GNUstep also won't let go for better alternatives due to
individual, personal reasons ... IMHO GNUstep at least appears to be
much more religious/uncooperative here than any other people in the
same sector. Possibly because more people with vastly diverging
expectations are involved.

I think it basically comes down to the fact that the work is being
done by volunteers. Which prefer doing their own stuff in their free
time. Eg why would I bother about code formatted in that ridiculous
GNU coding style in my freetime! (just kidding ;-)

> However, my impression is that unfortunately the reason is often
> either religious differences over licensing/copyright

This was fun :-) Given that *GNU*step itself only exists because of
this :-)

Anyways, Oliver Langer wanted to run a session on precisely this
topic on FOSDEM :-) So I suppose we should defer discussion till then.

Greets,
   Helge
--
Helge Hess