Re: Cocotron

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Cocotron
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:15:52 +0100

On Dec 24, 2006, at 03:00, Gregory John Casamento wrote:
I can't follow that, it sounds like everyone is re-inventing GNUstep
all the time. Which isn't the case. There is just one new project
which popped up, and apparently also has a focus which GNUstep just
doesn't have (Windows deployment).
GNUstep is all about deploying on as many operating systems as
possible, so I'm not certain what you're referring to.   GNUstep's
focus, as I have recently laid out, is that of a cross-platform API
which is usable on everything from Linux to Windows. The fact that
Windows isn't the only operating system that GNUstep is available on shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not that much into developing-AppKit, but IMHO its a huge difference whether you write AppKit just for Windows or whether you also target X11 given that the two are vastly different. Personally I would probably approach that by writing two entirely different AppKit libraries instead of creating one huge monster abstracting away the APIs inside yet another API ... (aka backends ;-)

The OpenStep idea is to have a common API, not being fixed on a common implementation.

Helge, could you please point out the email you sent in the list archives proposing this?

Matt send the link. I don't think its worth to resurrect the discussion, it turned into a huge mess. Matt's points are quite good, IMHO.

Now that I'm Chief Maintainer I'd like to take a look at what was proposed so that it can be considered. I'm concentrating my efforts on focusing the project on the goal I stated above. GNUstep is an crossplatform development environment and API only.

Well, even that is too broad. What is the API covered? Is it just Cocoa? What happens with all the enhancements currently hosted by GNUstep.

It is not a desktop, nor is it going to be an OS clone.

I'm not entirely sure how its possible to separate a GUI library from the desktop environment.
But since I'm not into GUI that much, I don't care either :-)

I'm wondering if you can summarize the "vastly diverging expectations" you're talking about as well. One of the problems I have seen on this project is that people are far too eager to start bashing GNUstep instead of actually trying to help or to do anything about the problems which are challenging this community. I'm here to change all of that.

Yes, I'm very interested to find out what will happen with GNUstep under your new leadership :-)

Anyways, Oliver Langer wanted to run a session on precisely this
topic on FOSDEM :-) So I suppose we should defer discussion till then.
I would prefer to discuss it here and now so that I can help to address any issues as soon as possible.

It already starts to get too much work to follow/answer that thread for little return.

I'll write some other mail and then stop posting :-) I would be very happy to discuss those things on FOSDEM, this is much more efficient and less error prone (misunderstandings happen to easily ;-). Lets find out there what can be done to reduce duplication of efforts.

Thanks,
  Helge