Re: Cocotron

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: Cocotron
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 19:26:56 +0700

Helge Hess wrote:
On Dec 24, 2006, at 03:00, Gregory John Casamento wrote:
I can't follow that, it sounds like everyone is re-inventing GNUstep
all the time. Which isn't the case. There is just one new project
which popped up, and apparently also has a focus which GNUstep just
doesn't have (Windows deployment).
GNUstep is all about deploying on as many operating systems as
possible, so I'm not certain what you're referring to.   GNUstep's
focus, as I have recently laid out, is that of a cross-platform API
which is usable on everything from Linux to Windows. The fact that
Windows isn't the only operating system that GNUstep is available on shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not that much into developing-AppKit, but IMHO its a huge difference whether you write AppKit just for Windows or whether you also target X11 given that the two are vastly different. Personally I would probably approach that by writing two entirely different AppKit libraries instead of creating one huge monster abstracting away the APIs inside yet another API ... (aka backends ;-)

I don't see if backend is anything to be described a huge monster. And it should wrap the layer below the native widget layer of a platform. Doing what you've described will probably end up getting headache when you have to deal with WYSIWYG. The idea of go entirely native widgets (well, you didn't say it) is usually from those who don't really
understand AppKit.

--
 Banlu Kemiyatorn

 Software Analyst