Directories (Was: Re: Cocotron)

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Directories (Was: Re: Cocotron)
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 22:20:45 -0700

On Dec 30, 2006, at 4:32 PM, Stefan Bidigaray wrote:

The only think that I don't like about the current implementation is the whole /System, /Local and /Network hierarchies (I'll refer to everything as if it was installed to /). I'm really bad at trying to say what on my mind cause it's a mess up there, but here goes. Why not make the "/System" hierarchy just be "/"?

I know it really should be documented better, but with the current GNUstep system (make, etc) you can pretty much put things wherever you want using the GNUstep.conf file. See ./configure --help in gnustep-make and also read the docs on the GNUstep Configuration file here:

http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Base/ Reference/index.html

It really would be nicer though, if there was an option to setup the whole system to common layouts, like

./configure --with-macosx-layout

or

./configure --with-fhs-layout

(fhs layout still would need some extra changes to get it to work, though).