Re: gnustep-base library versioning

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: gnustep-base library versioning
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 16:55:46 +0000

On 3 Jan 2007, at 15:25, Larry Campbell wrote:

gnustep-base specifies an INTERFACE_VERSION that includes its minor version number. This means that I have to relink everything whenever I deploy a new version of gnustep-base.

Only if the new version increments the minor version ... ie has api differences from the old version.

This is really rather impractical, and I wonder whether we couldn't change INSTALL_VERSION to include only the major version number (and, of course, make no backwards-incompatible changes during minor version upgrades).

We do that with the subminor version number.

The current behavior, where every program needs to be relinked and redeployed whenever gnustep-base is updated, is a significant inhibitor to the adoption of gnustep where I work.

You only need to relink where a release changes the interface version ... that's relatively infrequent ... and you would presumably only move to a new release with a different interface version (rather than a bugfix release with the same interface version) if/when you want to use new features it offers.