Need help with serialization/deserialization interface.

From: Tima
Subject: Need help with serialization/deserialization interface.
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:28:57 -0800

Hi list,

I'm going to write a serializer/decerialiser pair of procedures for a data description format (more specifically, for JSON, see http://json.org and http://json-rpc.org ).

BJSONAdditions (http://blakeseely.com/blog/archives/2006/03/29/bsjsonadditions-12/, the lates version is actually 1.3 at http://blakeseely.com/source/BJSONAdditions.zip )
suggests

@interface NSDictionary (BSJSONAdditions)

+ (NSDictionary *)dictionaryWithJSONString:(NSString *)jsonString;
- (NSString *)jsonStringValue;

@end

One thing I do not understand is: is it the best to read from NSString?

Most of the time JSON will be read from stream socket, sometimes from file, therefore I was seeking for some universal object that provides per-character read
access without requiring any knowledge of the media.

In C++ there are input and output streams (<iostream>) that are widely used for
I/O when a programmer wants to detach the API from a particular media.

I was reading about NSStream and its subclasses and got confused. I realized I can get them for socket, file or memory buffer, but I did not realize how to use them for
per-character input or output.

What is the recommended way to do buffered I/O in NextStep?

Thanks a lot,
Tima