Re: The importance of civil communication on the list (was Re: Fucked up

From: Jeremy Tregunna
Subject: Re: The importance of civil communication on the list (was Re: Fucked up gnustep-make)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:03:50 -0500

On 15-Feb-07, at 1:18 PM, Jeff Teunissen wrote:

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
Am 15.02.2007 um 15:32 schrieb Jeff Teunissen:

[snip]

Why, why WHY in the name of all that is good should anyone in a
Free Software
project act professional?

Because we want GNUstep to be successful? Because that means GNUstep
has to be used in professional environments for that? Because we
gain, given GNUstep is used professionally, better code review,
better stability, more applications developed using GNUstep, more
testing, lesser bugs.

Flat-out wrong. What is being referred to as "Professionalism" is something that human beings do not do on their own. "Professionalism" is the bloodless rote stupidity enforced in corporations from the top down, from a world where the whole job is about not giving anyone something bad to say about you.

That's machinery, not people. Real boats rock.

It's not a company, it's a hobby.

That attitude of some currently shows in GNUstep. Some professional
developers I talked to regard GNUstep as a playtoy of grown up boys
because of the overall quality. If for instance the Apache guys had
the same attitude nobody would (and could) use Apache (professionally).

Wrong again. If the Apache guys weren't having fun, we'd all be using the NCSA (or even the crappy CERN) httpd. If a certain Finnish grad student wasn't having fun with his terminal program, we wouldn't have Linux...and whaddaya know, he had some flame wars along the way. There are technical flame wars aplenty in any healthy project, arguing (and often heatedly) about technical
differences of opinion. And guess what? The projects aren't successful
_despite_ this, but partially because of it.

The best way to destroy a project is to make it seem like a job.

+1 to this.