Re: The importance of civil communication on the list (was Re: Fucked up

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: The importance of civil communication on the list (was Re: Fucked up gnustep-make)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:21:10 -0800 (PST)

Jeff,

My intention is not to "make it seem like a job", but only to point out that I
believe that being respectful is important.   In my messages, no matter how
pissed I am, except in very extreme circumstances, I try to be always measured
in my response on the public mailing list.   I try to treat people with respect
(even if I am sometimes a bit sarcastic), and I expect the same.   For
instance, just as a completely hypothetical example, I would have gotten very
insulted if the recent email regarding Gorm's menus said "Gorm is completely
fucking screwed and a piece of shit" instead of clearly stating what the issue
is.  My response, however, still would have been the same as it was, with,
perhaps, an "it's too bad you feel this way" in there someplace.

When I look through a list, I, personally, tend to avoid messages whose headers
contain profanity, since I assume that they are written by people who are
unreasonable.  I would expect that many people, likely, do the same since they,
similarly, don't wish to waste their time hearing/reading people bitch and moan
about something.

Your email appears to imply a correllation between success and a heated,
passionate debate.   I don't dispute that.   What I disagree with is that being
insulting or using profanity is necessary in order to have such a debate.

I'm not making any hard and fast rules here, just explaining my philosophy.

Later, GJC
--
Gregory Casamento