Re: Window Manager for GNUstep

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: Window Manager for GNUstep
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 09:20:32 -0500

Well, I don't know if this is going to help, but I personally hate WindowMaker!  I'm currently using a combination of a bunch of stuff that work pretty well together.  I use GWorkspace as the desktop, which provides a desktop, dock, trash, etc.  For window manager I use the Etoile project's Azalea.  Like I said before, it all works pretty well together, except that I still can't use the minimize feature, since the GWorkspace dock doesn't support it.  I toyed with the idea of using the Etoile Dock for a while, but it's too unstable and crashes often.  So instead of minimizing I use the shade feature of Azalea, instead.

I also toyed with the idea of using the GNUstep built in window manager, you can use it by setting GSX11HandleWindowDecorations to NO in NSGlobalDomain, but it's also too unstable for everyday use, and doesn't handle simple operations as expected (it sometimes doesn't raise windows, for example).

Stefan