Re: Latest GNUstep feedback

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Latest GNUstep feedback
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:04:28 +0100

Andreas Höschler schrieb:
> Hello all,
>
> I just upgraded to latest GNUstep/Etoile from svn. It took me a while
> but I finally got both trees to build on Solaris 10 SPARC. I will
> release the patched source tree on http://www.advanced-it.org/Downloads
> in a few hours if anyone is interested.
>
> My first observation is that
>
>     defaults write ...
>
> is very very slow now. Any idea why?

Did you find the time to release your diff files? I just looked and only
found a full dump of core and etoile, including loads of .svn files.
You surely know that those people who you expect to look at your code
change, closely follow SVN and even after a few days your tar ball will
be out of date and any diff will give us plenty of false differences we
need to look at.

Do you want to get your changes discussed and may be into the main trunk
or are you just thinking about ways to make things complicated? Yes, I
am still a bit upset about your rather unfriendly mail on the NSTabView
issue, but this here is a real problem. Even after running diff with the
 -x .svn option I get a file with 11000 lines in it as a result. This
only two days after you uploaded your version. OK, most of these lines
are due to my subverion using German week day abbreviations when
replacing the date in the header instead of the English names you are
using. Others are clearly changes done within GNUstep during these days.
In the first 2000 lines I could only identify some change to
NSNumberFormatter to be done by you. This changes will only work
correctly for German language settings and I am really not sure, if it
is still needed with current GNUstep code.

Why don't you save us this work and simply type in svn diff in your core
directory and pipe the output into a file and write up some
documentation coming along with that file to explain why you thing each
of the changes you did is needed?

Cheers,
Fred