Re: GNUstep on debian

From: Katsumi J. Saitoh
Subject: Re: GNUstep on debian
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:41:16 +0900

On 2007/03/01, at 9:03, Andreas Höschler wrote:

In the meanwhile I had to upgrade to debian etch (complete reinstall) for various reasons. I did install wmaker and xdm. I did not install GNUstep from the debian distribution but from latest svn. I was able to build GNUstep and our apps with no problem. Then I tried to login as root (only user) on the console (xdm) inorder to check whether anything works. The login screen vanishes and the X mousepointer appears for a few seconds. Then I am back at the login screen! :-(

I can't login at the graphical console. I can login via ssh or at another text console!?

I am not too familiar about X myself, so this isn't a very good answer but...

IIRC, the .xsessions file in the user's $HOME should be automatically read
if the X session is started via XDM, GDM, KDM, etc.

This blog entry may be of some help if you wish to create an XDM or GDM
session entry:

http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/weblog/archives/000327.html

Sorry, this is not really GNUstep related anymore, but if anybody has an idea why I can't login grafically I would appreciate to get a hint. I already checked /var/log/syslog but found no related error-message therein. I am a Solaris guy and have no idea of Linux. :-(

On Debian, I believe the log file you ought to look for clues would be
/var/log/Xorg.$SCR.log

P.S.  Hello GNUsteppers, I am a newbie addion to this mailing list.

RGDS,
Katsumi J. Saitoh