Re: a web-browser UI concept

From: Graham J Lee
Subject: Re: a web-browser UI concept
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 10:36:44 +0000

On 1 Mar 2007, at 22:19, Riccardo wrote:

Hi,

The toolbar separated from the document view is novel (OmniWeb <4.0 had the bookmarks inspector as a separate window, but IIRC that was it). OTOH, how much sense does that make? For things like zoom, help etc. it's fine. But buttons like forward, back, history act _on a document_ so separating them from the document view seems off to me. Of course, your kilometrage may vary.

Novel? oh, please... My long-time favourite browser Mosaic had a detachable toolbar since long, long (on unix).

OK, I didn't know that.  Interesting.

Although at first maybe a bit confusing for people accustomed to other browsers, it works pretty well. also a popupmenu with all open documents (on mac) and the *lack* of tabs made the whole experience pretty interesting.

Yes, that's one of the areas where the NSDocument architecture and tabbed browsing don't really intersect well...the Window menu ;-)

Cheers,
Graham.