Re: WebKit Bounty

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: WebKit Bounty
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:39:04 -0800

On 3/2/07, Chris Vetter <chris.vetter@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2007-03-02 11:29:08 +0100 Michael Thaler <michael.thaler@ph.tum.de>
wrote:
> I have never even looked at the source code of WebKit, but if it is
> possible
> to port it to Qt, shouldn't it also be possible to port it to
> gnustep? I know
> WebKit is a fork of khtml, the KDE rendering engine, but as far as I
> know,
> WebKit abstracted away Qt/KDE dependicies. So if it is possible to
> port
> WebKit to Qt, why is it so hard to port it to gnustep?

I never said it's hard, I said it's a hugh venture.

WebKit basically consists of the following frameworks that need to be
ported. Let me break it down:

- JavaScriptCore
Almost compiles out of the box, however, its bindings heavily depend
on CoreFoundation which
would have to be ported first (or go with the 'penalty' of lacking the
provided features)

- JavaScriptGlue
Needs CoreServices, which isn't available (AFAIK), again you could
probably do without. And I'm
not even sure this is really needed...

- WebCore
This basically is KHTML. You will need to write a graphics engine
(there already engines for GDK,
Win, QT, Cairo and one for Mac, using CoreGraphics, which again isn't
available)
Porting WebCore is the biggest task.

- WebKit
This one adds Views, Panels, History, etc. This is basically the stuff
you would see in InterfaceBuilder.
Technically, this could be considered 'goodies' or a 'would be nice to
have as well.'

I did some research on tkhtml (http://tkhtml.tcl.tk/) before.
It is small, mostly in C.
Then I gave up for other things.