Re: GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty)

From: Rogelio M. Serrano Jr.
Subject: Re: GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty)
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 11:12:58 +0800

Michael Thaler wrote:
> What makes writing HTML parsers/rendering engines really difficult is not
> parsing correct HTML and showing it. The problem is parsing/showing incorrect
> HTML. Apple spends a lot of resources testing WebKit with a lot of buggy web
> pages and make them show reasonably well. Some KDE people consider using
> WebKit in KDE4 because it is a waste of resources to duplicate all this work.
>
> Personally I think there is absolutely no point in writing some simple HTML
> parser/rendering engine that doesn't show buggy web pages reasonably well
> (except as an academic excercise). Who wants to use something like this?
>
> And whats the point in writing a HTML parser/rendering enginge in Objective-C
> anyway? It is absolutely no difference for the user and it is even no big
> difference for developers because most of them will never touch the HTML
> parser/renderer code anyway.
>
> Greetings,
> Michael

I dont think this is enough reason to invent a new ugly language. So we
can render broken pages properly. For apple maybe.

Duplication cannot be avoided. Would you rather integrate c++, ada,
fortran, .net, java and cobol in obj-c so we can avoid duplicating what
some super project in these language have done?

If html is so easy to do wrong and so hard to handle then we put a
bullet in the s*****'s head  and move on.