Re: GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty)
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 07:51:30 +0000

On 4 Mar 2007, at 06:09, Christopher Armstrong wrote:

Hi

I completely agree, It would be foolish not to leverage all of the work by the KHTML and WebKit teams. GNUstep doesn't need to maintain it's own HTML rendering engine. It's too big and time consuming and we have more
important things to focus on.

And on that note, you'll need some kind of CoreFoundation, which is used
in some parts of JavascriptCore/WebCore in order to avoid mixing
(mostly) C++ code with Objective-C calls. Considering that Apple's
CoreFoundation is *generally* just a C implementation of GNUstep base,
I've been working on a implementation that pretty much wraps what is in
GNUstep base already.

Most of the APIs map one-to-one, so its generally just a case of
declaring a prototype and calling the GNUstep base method. Not all APIs match, however, and there is some things we cannot support easily (such
as custom allocators), but we can come pretty close, and fill in the
gaps elsewhere with either custom implementations or an implementation
inside GNUstep Base.

Find a start effort at:
http://carmstrong.fastmail.com.au/CoreFoundation-20070304-final.tgz

Also note this is horribly incomplete (I've only just started
prototyping the CFString/NSString functions) but serves as an example of what I mean. I'm using the same idea that was being explored in the old
GNUstep WebKit before it went inactive.

I've long thought that a CoreFoundation clone done by wrapping base would be a good idea for GNUstep/Apple portability/compatibility, though in some case Apple add stuff to CoreFoundation that they don't put in Foundation, so the teo probably need to be quite tightly coupled (and perhaps inter-related). Would you be willing to assign copyright to the FSF and continue this work as a subproject of the base library or a separate dependent project in the GNUstep svn repository?