Re: ffcall on Darwin/PPC

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: ffcall on Darwin/PPC
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 18:05:48 -0500

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 07:36:47PM +0100, Wolfgang Lux wrote:
> Obviously, no arguments are copied at all in this case and hence the
> target of the forwarded method call will be called with undefined
> arguments. I do not see how this could ever be fixed, so I'm inclined
> to think that GNUstep should drop libffi.

Actually, I have submitted a patch to GCC to fix this problem already,
and the fix is simply to provide the callback with both the receiver and
the selector (why it was not done this way originally is beyond me,
perhaps just an oversight).  From there, the intended receiver can be
queried directly on the correct signature to use.

I do not think that libffi support should be dropped, as its outlook for
the future is much brighter than ffcall, but I can certainly say that
ALL of gnustep's invocation support (ffcall, libffi, and the disabled
mframe) is at the moment quite broken when it comes to
retaining/releasing per apple documentation, and I know for sure that
talksoup only works with ffcall, on ffi it destroys the stack and
crashes who knows where right when I start running all the invocation
code.

- Andy

--
Andrew Ruder <andy@aeruder.net>