Re: Linking setup with gnustep-make 2.0.1 on Solaris

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Linking setup with gnustep-make 2.0.1 on Solaris
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:16:01 +0200 (CEST)

> We [1] use some experimental -rpath (-R) support for Linux (and Solaris),
> which seems to work fine so far, thereby eliminating the dreaded
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.  A problem here unfortunately is on Darwin.
> The library install_names are set to the library only, not their full
> path.  I haven't had time to look into this yet, but I really would like
> to get GNUstep linking using run path/install names.
>
> I'm not sure why the GNUstep developers chose for this approach.  I'd
> like to know if the GNUstep developers have an interest for changing
> this or not.

I often had the reverse thought ... ie, why some systems are so keen on
hardcoding
all library paths. ;-)

Anyway having the option to control this behaviour would be the best solution.
:-)

Hardcoding paths can work well when the system is very precisely controlled
and defined, such as Apple OS X or a typical GNU distributions with everything
installed from pre-built packages.

But if people try to move things around a little bit, hardcoded paths can
become
a pain - using the dynamic linker to dynamically find libraries is obviously
more flexible (but, if you want, less robust).

Depending on the user/setup, presumably one or the other option would make more
sense,
so being able to configure the behaviour is probably what we need. :-)

Thanks