Re: Simple Web Kit vs. WebKit

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Simple Web Kit vs. WebKit
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:15:00 -0700

On 14 Jun., 20:50, "andy.somogyi" <andy.somo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Has there been any discussions regarding the use of Apple's WebKit on
> GNUStep?

Surely.

> I've looked at the WebKit code, albeit not too deeply, but from what
> I can tell, there is little or
> no use of Carbon. The majority is in C++, and the lower level classes
> are just C++ wrappers around
> Cocoa objects (with Objective C++).

Main differences (should be added to Wiki...)

WebKit    SimpleWebKit
ObjC++    ObjC
gcc 4.x    gcc 2.95.3
Full API   mostly full API (i.e. makes them more ore less
exchangeable!)
Mature     needs some time to become mature
complete  JavaScript incomplete, CSS missing, WebView not editable
4             1 single framework
KHTML    NSTextView rendering engine

-- hns