Re: new user of gnustep on ubuntu question about basic usage

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: new user of gnustep on ubuntu question about basic usage
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:16:29 +0200

Hi,

On 2007-06-25 16:48:17 +0200 Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:

1. all gnustep applications (e.g. GWorkspace & Terminal) start frozen. "Solved" by switching to 24-bit color mode in xorg.conf, at the cost of turning of DRI (my video card driver only support DRI at 16-bit color mode);
This is strange. I use the xlib backend and I even run it in 8 bit mode sometimes...

2. GWorkspace starts without desktop, must click "Show Desktop" each time I login. Cannot find options like "Show Desktop By Default" in Preferences, and man GWorkspace give no information about parameter that helps GWorkspace start with Desktop;
To permanently save the settings exit GWorkspace cleanly (that is, once do a "quit" from the menu or a Logout, don't just kill your X session) and it will save fine.

3. In Shelf the shortcut I created (by drag & drop) always disappear after logout and login back, must re-create these shortcut each time;
see comment above.

5. When I switch from GNUMail to Terminal, the menu of Terminal is brought up in front of GNUMail's menu (good!) and if I click to open a sub-menu, this menu is displayed behind GNUMail's sub-menu, making it impossible to click anything on that menu unless I drag whole Terminal menu away. I think the user-expected behavior is: if menu is in the front, its sub-menu should also be in the front. This also happen to other applications, not just between GNU Mail and Terminal;

This is a problem I have too from time to time. I have no idea... maybe someother can comment about this? I have the problem also with other applications (say, Gorm). I think it is not application dependent.

6. Is there a good way to run a gecko browser in GNUStep way? I mean, firefox doesn't look like a GNUStep application when I run it in GNUStep.
Not that I nkow of, but I learned to live with that imperfection... I use seamonkey or Opera.

Riccardo