Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 12:32:49 +0200

Hi Fabien,

As currently I am almost alone working on GNUstep gui
(and back for that matter), it will take some time for these things to
happen.

And GNustep is still running after Cocoa.

Featurewise, yes!

But many of the advances of Cocoa/Aqua over GNUstep/Etoile fit into the
nice to have box and are not absolutely necessary to have for an
efficient desktop.

GNUstep runs after Cocoa since 8 years.
What does it gain for Open Source users?
Nothing !

What do you mean by Open Source user? A kid that does not want to pay the 80 EUR for a MacOSX license/upgrade. Let the kid stick to a Mac. It looks better, works more reliable and allows the kid to learn Objective-C in a very pleasant environment. I would love to live in a world where all Wintel boxes got replaced by Macs.

But we are living in a real world with companies slowly starting to wonder whether using Wintel is really such a good idea, with CEOs trying to secure investments in large software projects. These guys (at least a few) like the idea of open source, the gurantee that no company of the world can drop a product from a market and thus render very expensive software aquisitions/developments useless. Now we have Open Source combined with the efficiency of OPENSTEP/Objective-C, combined with build and run on almost any platform. That is something!

When the Leopard will be there , GNUstep will have 5 years of work,
introducing new bugs, new badly design stuff etc ....

With no short term objectives.

It is a no way.

Congrats to not have give up !

Are you kidding?

In conjunction with legacy stuff from Sun (Sun Ray, SGD,...)
GNUstep/Etoile is a killer. For my father in law (iMovie, iTunes,...) a
Mac is exactly the right box.

So keep your Mac.

GNUstep/Etoile will never be a Mac. ( and I hope one day it will be better )

GNUstep/Etoile needs a company with big money like Apple is for Darwin, Sun for Open Solaris and Open Office,... that takes care of quality management and binary releases every few months. Then it can become better or at least close.

This world needs GNUstep/Etoile!!!

But have you ever tried to bring Macs to
enterprises? I have, also successfully. I have also seen Apple dropping EOF and Yellow Box from the market, porting WebObjects to Java and then back to Objective-C,... Oh my ... ! I can really sleep well now knowing
that our preferred deployment platform for enterprise applications is
Solaris/GNUstep/Etoile and whatever Apple does in the near future
(iPhone, iPod,...), we will be able to deploy our business applications
on any unix machine on earth (thanks to GNUstep and Etoile). Life is
great!

Are you using gui or sort of "GNUstep desktop"  ?

Of course we are using gui (although no nibs and no gorms,...). Until now we used Window Maker, Camaelon, gui, base and a stack of our own frameworks to get a usable desktop. We did not came close to Coco/Aqua with this approach, but at least we could deploy on reliable hardware (-> Sun Servers). Now with Etoile 0.2 we get a bit closer to the original.

( GSWeb is another beast, and does not use lot of Cococa extension anyway )

We are developing native applications only!

Regards,

  Andreas