The future of GNUstep (was: Open URL in NSWorkspace)

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: The future of GNUstep (was: Open URL in NSWorkspace)
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 12:05:23 -0700

Riccardo wrote:

>Fabien:

>> On Fri, August 3, 2007 10:00 am, Fred Kiefer wrote:
>
>>> As currently I am almost alone working on GNUstep gui (and back for
>>> that matter), it will take some time for these things to happen.
>>
>> And GNustep is still running after Cocoa.
>>
>> With no short term objectives.
>>
>> It is a no way.

> Could you please keep such idiotic comments for yourself?

Hey, how about elementary politeness?

>> Congrats to not have give up !
> Congratulation for spreading FUD.

I do not think it's FUD. Moreover, I agree with Fabien.
But I had to read the whole thread and it took me a while to undertsand
his position.

But before - great many thanks to Fred who did not give up and continues
to work on GUI, it is an essential effort that we all need and I myself
very
much like the way how Fred prefers to do it right and not do it fast, do
it just
now, make it work somehow.

Now, back to Fabien - if I only understood him correctly -
I have a very similar position that "Max OSX compatibility"
and "best possible framework" are different, and, moreover,
unreconcilable goals. I saw GNUstep first time around 1998,
then people were talking about OpenStep not because they
wanted to port OpenStep applications to Linux, but because
it was the best framework so far - but the best they saw
in their whole life. Some comments about it were rather impressive.

In my mind, people who focus on Mac OSX compatibility believe
the best programs are written by or for Apple and the best thing
open source can do is to make the available for Linux etc.
They do not expect independent development.

I, on the contrary, believe that we can do better, even much better.
And that there is a possiblilty of a breakthrough in several areas.
Therefore I ( and, I guess, Fabien, too ) would prefer elegant,
powerful, but focused and lightweight framework. I do not care
about Mac OSX compatibility, because I do not expect to port their
programs. I expect it other way around. Nor do I care about Windows.
I promote Unix.

We had a rather extensive discussion about that with Richard,
and I understood that most GNUstep developers (including Richard)
have the opposite point of view, that is, OSX rules.

So I do not expect any change here unless somebody dares a fork.

Thank you,
Tima