Re: New ProjectCenter Icons

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: New ProjectCenter Icons
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:43:44 +0200 (CEST)

> If GORM is nicely merged with PC, you can still use any favourite IDE
> and just the GORM part for editing NIB files and ignore the rest of
> its functionality.

Thanks Nikolaus,

good point - it needs to be clarified what "integrating" the two applications
means then. ;-)

There are pros and cons to merging, it very much depends on how it is done. :-)

Which is also why this topic will easily degenerate into a flamewar: nobody
really knows what exactly we are discussing, and everyone has got his/her own
idea! ;-)

From your description it looks like "the GORM part for editing NIB files"
would remain a separate "part" that can be used without the rest.  That would
be nice, but I personally don't think it would work that way. :-)

This is a free software project!  Once you merge the source code, people will
(naturally) start mixing code from the two applications until you get a big
messy
spaghetti ball of code - both in terms of software engineering, and in terms of
user
interaction.  In the end nobody will like it - you won't be able to touch/use
the
'GORM' part without having to learn everything about the 'PC' part as well, and
vice
versa. ;-)

But your concern about integrating the two applications is good - it might be
worth discussing how you want them to integrate/interact from a user
perspective.  It should be possible to do it using DO or some other app
interaction system.

Integrating the two applications without merging the source code requires
organizing, planning and documenting the interactions between the two parts.
But that's supposed to be a good practice. :-)

Thanks