Forum (was Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?)

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Forum (was Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:25:33 -0600

Having both is certainly a good thing, by only having one of the two
you lock out quite a percentage of the other group. [and this doesn't
mean that mailing list guys need to support forums, just having a
forum for forums users is a good thing :-)]

I support the idea of an "official GNUstep forum". :-)

It generally seems like a good idea - particularly for new users who
want to browse information and discussions. :-)

And it's not "either mailing lists or a forum", as you say we can have
both. We can keep most developer discussions on mailing lists, but also
have a forum which we ("mailing list guys") visit from time to time
(depending on personal taste) but where the "forum users" can discuss
happily. ;-)

Finally, if we don't create an "official GNUstep forum" I imagine we'll
just end up with many GNUstep forums.  Starting a forum is quite easy
and there seem to be people that are really keen on it, so the obvious
consequence is that they will start GNUstep forums ... probably more
than one, in competition.  That would be bad because then the material
gets fragmented. It would seem much better to just start an "official"
one :-)

I agree, and think it makes sense to add one to the new site. Does anyone have recommendations on a good PHP-based, MySQL-backed forum solution (preferably one that allows receiving and replying to posts via email)?

J.