Re: Native widgets (was: Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable developme

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Native widgets (was: Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:44:17 +0000

On Nov 15, 2007 12:54 PM, Ingolf Jandt <i.jandt@web.de> wrote:
> Please excuse the interference, but I really do not understand why you
> waste time and effort on this discussion. It reminds me somewhat of the
> wheel inventing committee in the Hitchhiker's trilogy (which is stuck in
> the discussion about the colour before having made any step forward).
>
> IMHO widgets mean lots of work without any gain.

I thought my previous mails were clear.. but I'm only advocating
native widgets for some specific dialogs like the file chooser.
And the gain would be a better integration with the host platform;
main target beeing gnustep on windows.

> And why start a debate about redesigning a software system between
> version 0.13 and 1.0? That is a topic for between 0.1 and 0.2 or maybe
> between 3.x and 4.0.

Er... it's not like the idea would consist in a lot of redesign, and
it has very narrow impact and can be easily isolated..

> No offense meant, I am just bewildered you are so open to the idea of
> knocking the whole design and all your work on the head.

It's _far_ from knocking the whole design -- the file dialogs in
GNUstep are pretty simple, api-wise and functionality-wise: you just
want to call it, and get a list of files. The only advanced feature (a
very cool one, mind you) is rarely used if ever (accessory views).
Therefore it should be easy to support native file dialogs, and I put
forward in my previous emails the advantages of doing so.

--
Nicolas Roard