Re: GNUstep theming (was Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in L

From: Dr Tomaž Slivnik
Subject: Re: GNUstep theming (was Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:46:39 +0000

On 28 Nov 2007, at 09:32, Markus Hitter wrote:

10.5.1 (Intel)

This is a brand new OS with a lot of design decisions not seen before, so some failures aren't _that_ surprising. As Apple prefers to collect 300 new features before offering them to non-paying developers, switching to a community driven OS would likely avoid such disasters.

I am very seriously considering switching to a Unix variant + GnuStep (be it Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, etc. - I do not know). The Unix layer of Apple is definitively unsatisfactory. As is their approach to releasing software - release lots of flashy gummy but pay no attention to whether staple features actually work.

But I believe that most likely switchers / potential valuable developer contributors to GnuStep are now on Mac OS X. You have to make it easy for such people to install GnuStep on their machines.

In my case, and I suspect in case of others, it's not going to be an overnight switch - we work in a production environment after all. We have to evaluate the viability, stability etc. of the new platform, and data conversion/migration in case of applications which do not have a direct equivalent is an issue. The devil you know always has the advantage that at least it sort of works even if it doesn't work very well.

How viable would it be to write a compatibility layer for OpenStep 4.2 Intel architecture apps to run on Darwin Intel + GnuStep (possibly after being patched a little by an automatic patcher program)? I'm assuming Mach-O format is the same, and Darwin has most of the system calls of NeXT's BSD/Mach even if they are slightly re- arranged, so it sounds like in principle it might be possible to write appropriate compatibility .dylibs if a compatibility Display Postscript was feasible.

Has TexShop or NeXTTeX been ported to Gnustep? What about OmniGroup, could they be persuaded to port?

Tomaž