Re: ANN: Build Guide version 2.0.0

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: ANN: Build Guide version 2.0.0
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:45:27 +0000

On 2007-12-05 17:19:29 +0000 Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw@made-it.com> wrote:

Nicola Pero wrote:
Eg, if you want to run gdomap, instead of

  $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Tools/gdomap

you can now simply do

  $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_TOOLS/gdomap

So I tried to figure out what the options are... but now I am confused...

$ . /usr/GNUstep2/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep-reset.sh
$ . /usr/GNUstep2/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
$ env | grep GNUSTEP GNUSTEP_IS_FLATTENED=yes
GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT=/usr/GNUstep2/Local
GNUSTEP_HOST=i686-pc-linux-gnu
GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=/usr/GNUstep2/System/Library/Makefiles
GNUSTEP_NETWORK_ROOT=/usr/GNUstep2/Network
GNUSTEP_FLATTENED=yes
GNUSTEP_HOST_OS=linux-gnu
GNUSTEP_HOST_VENDOR=pc
GNUSTEP_HOST_CPU=ix86
GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT=/home/dennis/GNUstep
GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT=/usr/GNUstep2/System
GNUSTEP_PATHLIST=/home/dennis/GNUstep:/usr/GNUstep2/Local:/usr/GNUstep2/Network:/usr/GNUstep2/System

There is no GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_TOOLS variable to use... am I missing something?

Yes, Nicola was presumably talking about running gdomap from within a makefile ... the variables should all be available within the makefile, as they are really for installation and for location of resources.

Outside a makefile, you should just be able to type 'gdomap' since the tools should be in your PATH.

There is no way from the variables set by GNUstep.sh to know where the GNUstep.conf file is, so that won't help too. So the question is:

When I have a cleanly booted system, where GNUstep is installed in /usr/GNUstep is there a way to figure out how to set everything up. I could just make every user set his or her GNUstep.conf in the script, but the current scripts are without human intervention when you install in the default directory.

The idea is that you shouldn't need to do a setup if things are installed 'native', and if they are installed in the standard GNUsterp layout, all you need to know is the location of GNUstep.sh

Using GNUstep.sh will set up your PATH (and LD_LIBRARY_PATH), so you don't need anything else unless you are wanting to build and install software ... in which case you are supposed to use makefiles ... and the makefiles will have everything else set up.

If you really want variables outside of the make system, you can use gnustep-config to return them (the 'gnustep-config' script is found in your path)

eg. 'gnustep-config --variable=GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_TOOLS'

Think I need to sleep on this one, to see how to solve it. Any good ideas are highly appreciated.

Dennis

In fact, what about just doing 'gdomap' ? If you source GNUstep.sh, gdomap will be in your PATH so there is nothing to do (unless you are trying to
avoid conflicting with an existing 'gdomap' on the system ?). :-)

Anyhow, I'm including here the entire 'RELEASENOTES' file from gnustep-make v2.0. Have a look and see if it helps you. Remember that even if you are using and recommending the gnustep-layout (which is a very nice layout!) we're trying to move everyone to the situation where the same software/scripts/etc. will work on all types of layout that GNUstep supports. So it's important to update to
use the new variables ;-)

Thanks